Mission #7988

I have encountered some new developments in the past few days that have deterred me from posting as fervently as I have been for the duration of my stay in Turkey. Aside from the hustle and bustle of papers, e-mails, and blog updating our nation's independence day happened to fall into this already overloaded mixture. Being social chair of the group, I along with my co-chair have had a lot on our plates in terms of organizing the celebrations for our nation's independence day...in a foreign country. Even these issues became minor with my most recent development: stolen items!
Somehow during our festivities on the 4th, a mystic Turk managed to stumble into our room in search of a friend. One of us happened to come downstairs for a potty break and noticed said man. After a few questions she determined he was aloof and intoxicated, so there was no action that needed to be taken. We continued with our amazing festivities without giving the mystic encounter a second thought. This is where we went wrong.
The following day as I was updating my blog, a common practice of mine, I remembered that I needed to upload a few pictures onto my computer. I looked for my camera in its usual places: under the piles of clothes, on my bed, on the bureau, in Amanda's purse, and in my pants' pockets. After the usual places I began to worry and searched both flats to no avail. Then, I noticed that my Ipod was also missing. This is when I remembered the mystic trespasser from the night before. Ah! After a few more rounds of extensive searching, I concluded that my camera had been stolen. Luckily, I had uploaded the majority of my photos. After a few calls, I decided to file a police report. Now this is where the fun begins.
Yekta, as a kind friend, agreed to accompany me to the Police Station to translate my sad story. As we stepped up to the entrance of the police station we were accosted by an officer questioning us of our motives and reasons for seeking their assistance. Yekta proceeded to tell him that I had lost my camera and Ipod and we were wanting to file a police report. The man did not believe me! The nerve of this guy. After asking me when I was leaving for the States he concluded that this was all a ploy to cash in on my insurance policy. His experience as an officer had apparently triggered his truth radar and he told us that this was a common story. However, we continued to press but he would not budge. He told me that I had to provide him with the invoices of my camera and Ipod, and after that they would come to our flat and fingerprint search the entire room! I think that the man was only trying to scare me so that I would stop my lies and never return. Boy, was he wrong.
With my cunning skills, great memory, and organization I managed to scavenge copies of the receipts to both my camera and Ipod. One receipt was packed away in a box in a friend's attic, and the other was hidden in Apple's website--a customer support representative couldn't even retrieve this little piece of my proof of purchase. Apple needs to get a more knowledgeable customer support crew. The following day, Yekta, William and I went to the police report. We left......................................................with our mission #7988 completed--we left with a police report! Now it's up to my mother, my insurance agent, to remedy the situation. My part in this is over, it's up to Allstate--You're in Good Hands.

0 comments:

Post a Comment



 

IMG_4745

IMG_4982

IMG_1910_edited-1

IMG_1869

IMG_1417

DSC_0204-4_edited-1

DSC_0045-8_edited-1

IMG_4154